High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) and Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS)
Our HVDC project experience dates back to 1966 with the development of the Nelson River Transmission System in Manitoba, Canada.
Since that time, we have provided engineering services for projects representing over 80,000 MW of the world’s planned or installed capacity of HVDC, including both Line Commutated Converter (LCC) and Voltage Source Converter (VSC) technology.
Our comprehensive knowledge of HVDC includes everything from planning and design studies, preparation of specifications and design review to inspection, commissioning, project management and implementation.
Our world-class team of power engineering experts have worked on some of the largest and most complex transmission systems in the world.
Our HVDC/FACTS services include:
- Owner’s Engineer
- Power System Studies, including project feasibility, planning and equipment studies, harmonic studies, ac/dc interaction, control interaction, dc grid protection and control
- Project Scope Definition at Project Inception, including size, location, schedule, labour and technological requirements
- Reviewing the scope in the context of your business objectives; including assessing/proposing capital budgets and completing rigorous cost/benefit analyses
- Considering alternative technologies and keeping abreast of trends and advances in the industry
- Carefully developing schedules and design criteria
- Preparing Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contracts for EHVAC and HVDC/FACTS projects
- Providing Technical Bid Evaluation and Contract Negotiation Assistance
- Engineering Design
- Expediting and Witnessing Factory Tests
- Construction Supervision
- Commissioning Support
- Operation and Maintenance Planning
- Life Extension