Teshmont provided Owner's Engineer services for the SARPEN HVDC Transmission System Project.
Once completed, this HVDC system would have been able to transmit up to 2000 MW of electricity via two HVDC 676 km underwater cables and 1000 km of overhead line. Teshmont’s responsibilities included preparing functional specifications to be issued to potential EPC contractors.
Teshmont was retained to provide the following engineering services:
- Phase 1: Review Basic Functional Specification and prepare Final Functional Specification:
- Reviewing / working with the Consulting Engineer
- Developing the Document for Prequalification
- Reviewing Prequalification proposals and preparing a shortlist
- Preparing Functional Specifications for:
- HVDC converter stations (including communications and electrodes)
- HVDC transmission line
- HVDC submarine cables
- Working with the EPC Bidder during specification development
- Assisting during discussions with the off-takers, project advisors, and lenders
- Phase 2: Negotiating the Contract
- Performing the technical bid evaluation
- Working with the EPC Bidders to develop a Conformed Specification
- Phase 3: Engineering Review, Inspection and Testing, Site Monitoring, and Commissioning
- Reviewing EPC Contractor designs
- Inspection and witnessing testing of equipment
- Site monitoring during construction
Note: Unfortunately, Sime Darby Energy elected to not proceed with the project at the end of Phase 1.