Teshmont is the Owner’s Engineer for Manitoba Hydro on the Bipole III HVDC Converter Stations Project. This project includes the northern Keewatinohk converter station, ac switchyard, and electrode, and the southern Riel converter station, synchronous compensator facility, and electrode.
The +/-500 kV system will be rated between 2000 MW and 2500 MW. Specifications were developed for use of either Line Commutated Converter (LCC) or Voltage Source Converter (VSC) valve technology.
Teshmont has provided the following engineering services for this project:
- Performing system studies including harmonic impedance studies of northern and southern systems and dc side interference studies
- Preparing conceptual single-line diagrams and layout drawings for LCC and VSC options
- Developing requirements for the converter buildings and the ancillary buildings
- Establishing performance and design criteria
- Performing a technical review of VSC technology in comparison to LCC technology
- Providing environmental licensing support
- Providing project management support, including cost estimating, scheduling, quality assurance, and risk management
- Synchronous compensator facility, including performing a technology review of available technologies and determining machine parameters, ratings, and performance requirements
- Overseeing development of technical specifications for both LCC and VSC options
- Performing technical bid evaluations of the tenders and providing technical contract negotiation assistance
- Providing design review services
- Project management support including quality management and implementation planning
- Teshmont is also providing engineering services for the ground electrodes for the Bipole III system. Teshmont’s scope of work includes site selection, preliminary design, and detailed design.
Teshmont will continue to provide Manitoba Hydro with Owner's Engineer services for the Bipole III project, including witnessing factory tests and commissioning assistance.